Saturday, April 19, 2008

Last weekend was the busiest 48 hours I have experienced in a very long time! It was also one of the most fun weekends I have had in a while. I was literally running from one event to the next!

The weekend started off with hosting a baby shower for one of my dearest friends, Kelli Duhaney. She and Rob came into town for a visit and we snagged the opportunity to shower her. It was a great morning filled with yummy food, piles of presents and lots of love! Because of my crazy weekend, I didn't get a chance to spend as much time with Kelli as I would have liked, but it was just so great to see her and her growing tum! I love you, Kelli!


Kelli and the shower hostesses

These were the adorable centerpieces we put at each table.

Isn't this adorable? Sharon had this cute idea and I simply followed instructions to put it together.

Saturday evening was my school's Spring Auction. This is a fundraising event that my school puts on every other year. This year it was held at The Riviera Country Club in the Palisades. Wow! What a beautiful place! The golf course at The Riviera is on the PGA tour, so the grounds are amazing! There were some fantastic items being auctioned off this year, but as always, they are way out of our price range...American Idol Finale Tickets for $15,000 -- Kindergarten Quilt for $25,000 -- you get the point. This year our First Grade Quilt went for $11,000. Quite a bargain! Ha! But, with all the money going to the school, it is a blessing to have these families give of their money in such generous ways. And, we had a great time hanging out with everyone at such a fancy event.

Isn't this a beautiful view of The Riviera Golf Course? The ocean is actually in the background of this photo, but you can't really tell....the sky and water sort of morhped into one.

We had so much fun!

This is my partner in crime -- my co-teacher, Christie.

This is me and my friend, Megan -- 5th Grade teacher at CCS.

While Jeremy and I were at the auction, my parents came into town for a quick trip. A parent of one of my students had given me 2 tickets to a literacy event in Hollywood. It is called The Wonder of Reading and it raises money for public libraries and literacy causes at public schools in Los Angeles. Being that Jeremy doesn't have the same appreciation for literacy that I do, he wasn't too hip on attending the event. So, I invited my mom to go with me. She, of course, was thrilled to accompany me! We are fellow elementary teachers and book lovers!

So, on Sunday afternoon, my mom and I headed to Hollywood and enjoyed a great day of children's literature! The highlight was when Julie Andrews spoke to kick off the event. My mom and I were totally star struck as we just love her! The rest of the day consisted of several children's authors speaking and doing book readings and book signings. It was a very fun day! My dad and Jeremy enjoyed a relaxing day watching golf on TV at our place. It worked out perfectly for everyone!

This is a photo of Julie Andrews and LA Mayor, Antonio Villaragosa kicking off the event.

My mom and I after a very fun day!

And then, at last, the weekend was over. Jeremy and I just sat on the couch trying to catch our breat. We were exhausted! But, I woudn't have changed a thing! It was busy, but full of wonderful memory making things!

This weekend, however, I am enjoying having nothing planned and staying in my pjs as long as I want!

6 comments:

Rick J said...

OK... I'm tired just reading it, and it's not just from working out at Jen and Fok's gym! :-)

Greetings from Moscow! Kaleb and Claire (an all the rest of us) send hugs to you guys.

Anonymous said...

It was a fun and busy weekend. I sure enjoyed just hanging out with Jeremy...leaving all the literacy stuff to the women. Papa Steve

Tracey Clem said...

How fun!! Talk about a full weekend. Jeez! I'm lucky if I get out to the park once in an entire weekend.

You look gorgeous in the pics from the event at Riviera!

Love you, dear friend!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tamalani Barnett said...

How hot are you in that red outfit at the shower? And the Riviera event too! Fun fun fun weekend. Let's get together again soon. Love you, friend!
Tami

Katie and Robert said...

Ameber, I LOVE your dress! You look just beautiful!! What a fun time! You sure did have a whirlwind weekend!! I'm so happy you guys are in Fresno this weekend! Enjoy some relaxing time with the family! Give your parents a hug from me!
Katie