Sunday, December 30, 2007

This year we spent Christmas with my family. Everyone was able to be there! Neisha and Brice, Tali and Cliff, my nieces and nephew, my parents and Jeremy and I -- all together in 1 house for 1 week. (Oh, and my grandparents in the motorhome outside.) Jeremy's parents and grandma also came up and spent Christmas Day with all of us. It was such a rich week! We had an absolute blast! My parents just built a new house in the foothills above Fresno in the little town of Northfork. They just moved in about 3 weeks ago. Although there were many boxes still to unpack, it still felt like home just to be with everyone.

I laughed until I cried more times than I can remember during games of Balderdash and Apples to Apples. I ate some of the yummiest food I have had in a long time. We got to stay up late and sleep in -- although not as late now that there are little ones -- but who can refuse a wake up call of little feet running up and down the hallway singing Frosty the Snowman and banging their toys on the wall?? However, Jeremy and I, being the only ones without kids now, had the advantage of rolling over and going back to sleep. We got an abundance of hugs, kisses and smiles from Caelan, Brenna and Zeke. We shared old and new stories with everyone, watched football, sat by the fire (my dad makes the greatest, warmest fires -- he has some sort of special touch), played video games, read storied to the little ones...I could go on and on...all in all it was perfect!

As is always the case with my family, many tears were shed during the good-byes, and, since I am the weeper in the family, I continued to be teary throught our drive home and even off and on the next day after Jeremy and I were back home.This year the heart wrencher was when I picked my little 2 year old neice up to say good-bye. She gave me a big kiss and looked up at me with her sweet eyes and said, "But, I will miss you Amber!" My heart literally hurt!

I find it an increasingly rare things these days to come across families that truly enjoy every minute spent together and who get along so well. Although I do feel a bit silly being a grown adult crying as I pull out of the driveway, I choose to view it as an immense blessing from God. Thank you, Lord, for giving me a family that cherishes, respects and loves one another as dearly as mine!

Here are some photos from the week...

My dad mentioned quite a list of jobs he wanted the sons -in -law to help him with while we were all there. So, Jeremy and got him this little whiteboard to keep track of what needed to be done. This is what the boys came up with...


The girls quickly change this list to what it should really be...


My mom and dad started a new tradition this year. Each Christmas they will purchase a small live pine tree for the grandkids to decorate it. Before the grandkids leave, they will plant the tree and have them make a stone with the year and handprints of all the grandkids that helped. How precious is that??? All my dad's idea....what a grandpa!


There always seemed to be something fun going on in the kitchen!



Getting some precious one on one time with my nieces!


One VERY sleepy morning, I stumbled into the kitchen and poured myself a bow of cereal. Before I knew it, I had Calan and Zeke both beside me wanting to partake in the Lucky Charms with me. I was too tired to pour two more bowls, so we just all ate out of the one!


These 3 little faces were the the best part of the whole week!




Jeremy and Cliff getting quite a work out boxing on the wii. The wii proved to be quite a hit with everyone -- thanks, Brice!


We even got the first dusting of snow! Hopefully it was the first of many more to come at my parent's new place.


The snow and cold weather didn't stop Grandma and Papa from playing outside with the kids!



Grandma, Papa and their 3 little reindeer! Adorable!!!


Christmas morning in this year's new pj's. Love them, Mom!


We praise God for the joy we shared in and for the memories we made this Christmas!

8 comments:

Robert and Kelli said...

Looks like so much fun! Your family is wonderful- reading about your time with them, I could picture it perfectly! Happy New Year to you and Jeremy!

Holly said...

Glad you had such a sweet Christmas. I'm sure it was wonderful for your parents to put their new house to the use it was intended for! Happy 2008!

Rick J said...

What a great post... and pics. We had fun being a part of it all on Christmas Day! Happy New Year!

Kari and Randy Adopt said...

Yes, what a blessing to not only love your family but to like them! I cry at most departures too and just figure, "how sad it is to leave but sadder still for those who aren't sad!"

Happy New Year! Hope to see you in Fresno at the end of the month (you know, since we live like 35 minutes away from each other, we have to go 4 hours to see each other!)

Love,
Kari

Tamalani Barnett said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like Christmas was the way it is supposed to be. Glad everyone could be together, I know how special that is when everyone is spread out. Love you guys!

Burchams said...

Sounds like everything was just perfect! I'm glad you got to spend such quality time with your sweet family. I totally understand crying my eyes out while saying goodbye-- I hate those goodbyes, but I'm thankful I have people I love to say goodbye to! Love you both, and we pray God's blessings on this next year for you guys! love, david and shannon

Jill said...

sounds like a great christmas! nothing better than spending time with family. thanks so much for your encouraging note on my blog! it means a lot to me!

Tracey Clem said...

Love the pics, and the update of the Foster, et al., family Christmas!

Miss you, dear one!