Thursday, April 13, 2006

Every other year my school, Calvary Christian, has a huge fundraiser. It is always an auction and is always a very formal affair. This year it was held at the Century Plaza Hotel in Beverly Hills. Jeremy affectionately calls this event "The Mom Prom". I guess in a way, he's right. It's a chance for all of the parents to get dressed up and go somewhere nice. But, its main purpose is to raise money for the school. I have been to several auctions in my life for schools, churches, etc. However, nothing compares to what happens at these auctions that my school holds. One of the many traditions the school holds is that every other year each grade creates a quilt. The children create quilt squares that are then put together by parent volunteers. These quilts are truly magnificent! At the live portion of the auction each quilt is auctioned off as the teachers walk them around for the parents to admire. This year, I am proud to say that Amy, my co-teacher, and I were able to sell our quilt for $17,000!!!! Yes, that's right...I wouldn't beleive it either if I hadn't been there myself! But it is true! Amy and I worked hard for the money! I think maybe we missed our calling and should be in sales. Although the power of pursuasion can be a good tool for teachers as well. So, I leave this auction, once again, amazed at the unbeleivable generosity of the parents at my school. All I can say is WOW!

All dressed up!

Amber and Amy


The $17,000 quilt!

2 comments:

Rick J said...

Wow!! (ca-ching) Maybe you can give me some pointers when you guys are here next month. Let's see, we need to raise $$ at church for....

The One Room Family said...

What a beautiful couple!! And to raise that much money was great. You two just keep it up. Love, Grandma